Friday, July 27, 2012

My first Cinemalaya experience.

Showcase of indie films in their respective categories.

    I've watched a few Pinoy indie movies when I was in high school. I loved it but after that I never really had an opportunity to watch those kinds of films again. So when one of my professors mentioned Cinemalaya last Wednesday, a Philippine independent film festival, my friends and I got excited and decided that we'd watch whatever film we'd be able to catch the next day after our classes. I've been hearing about people raving about Cinemalaya for the past week so this was a good chance to see for ourselves what the whole fuss was about.

 
     Let's get a few things straight. I love movies. And I would watch Pinoy movies if they possess the same quality other countries have in terms of production, cinematography, storytelling, scriptwriting, and style.
 I like Hollywood, Korean, Japanese, and even some Thai films. I'm usually having a lot of trouble trying to appreciate Pinoy films coz the fuckin' mainstream media in my country is trying to dumb me down with predictable storylines, cliche' character archetypes, with actors who have looks to compensate for their nonexistent talent. Sure, some actors are good-looking and talented except they keep getting themselves in roles that are as challenging as watching paint dry.

  Producing mediocre films just for the masses is an insult to the intelligence of Philippine population. Just saying. I used to feel sorry for people who can't take a shred of intellectual provocation when watching films but recently I am just annoyed and completely judging their movie tastes.



 Sam and I were the only ones who ended up going to CCP for Cinemalaya. We caught the 3.30 showing of Posas ("Shackles").

by Lawrence Fajardo

Click HERE for the synopsis and preview.

  Posas shows the process of corruption and violation of human rights as experienced by Jestoni "Jess" Biag, a snatcher who got caught stealing a cellphone of a call center agent. The timeline implied in this film was around the time of the Corona trial. (I see what you did there!)

 This film is compelling as it centers around the dark topic of corruption and human rights violation but is still able to have its light (not to mention hilarious) moments while staying true to the struggling human condition and the inefficient, indifferent bureaucracy of our system. In short, SO MANY FEELS.

P75 (student price) to watch this kind of movie is one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me. P150 is the regular price but it's still worth it!

Cinemalaya is only until Sunday, guys! Here's the schedule and enjoy!

P.S.
   Sam and I originally wanted to watch either Sta. Nina (because Coco Martin. Hurhurhur) or The Animals because it's directed by a Benildean graduate who took up Digital Filmmaking. Oh well.

by Gino M. Santos. Animo!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam and hate comments will not be tolerated.