Thursday, August 23, 2012

Girl Crush: Samantha Barks appreciation post



       At first, I watched the 25th anniversary concert of Les Miserables because I was curious about Lea Salonga's talent in an international production. One of  the performers that caught my attention was Alfie Boe (an amazing, down-to-earth tenor), George Lucas, Norm Lewis, Ramin Karimloo, Katie Hall... actually the entire cast was just friggin' AMAZEBALLS, even the extras induce goosebumps from me. Nick Jonas was there because he played Gavroche in one of the Les Mis production ages ago and some people commented he was put in the production to pull in a younger crowd. Wish they stuck with Gareth Gates though for the role of Marius.



   I love Samantha Barks as Eponine. Ok, granted that Lea Salonga had this role in the 10th anniversary production and I can say she has more voice range than Samantha Barks but OMG you can just feel those emotions emanating the lyrics and her acting is superb.
    You can feel the pain that struck her when she realizes Marius won't return her feelings. In this scene with the wonderful Katie Hall (plays Cosette) and Nick Jonas, I just lost it when she sang her lines, "every word that he says is a dagger in me!" Maybe because I can relate to unrequited feelings but OMG Eponine is easily the most relatable character because Samantha Barks brings a quirky, spunky twist and a bit of naivete that's just precious.

Me and my feels for Eponine




  I thought Lea Salonga's role in the 25th anniversary concert made me tear up but it was Samantha Bark's scene with Nick Jonas wherein she's dying just gave way for more waterworks.




Eponine:
 "This rain will wash away what's past
And you will keep me safe
And you will keep me close
I'll sleep in your embrace at last..."

Me:

Eponine:
"...A breath away from where you are
I've come home
 From so far..."

Me:

I've had a Les Mis high for a few months and it's not stopping.

ONLY TUMBLR PEOPLE UNDERSTAND MY FEELS FOR SAMANTHA BARKS IN THIS MUSICAL. I also love the fact that they cast her in the same role in the film adaptation. At any rate, I'd also like to see her role as Nancy in Oliver! someday.

4 comments:

  1. Let's watch Oliver! together! :3

    Lol laughing at the people who are bashing Samantha Barks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haters gonna hate. I really want Eponine's hat.

      Delete
  2. Ifell in love with her 02 performance it was so perfect a performance you was made to feel that she was realy in love with Marius

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WISH I WAS THERE AT THE O2 BUT NO I CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS

      Thanks for stopping by! :D

      Delete

Spam and hate comments will not be tolerated.