Saturday, August 11, 2012

"Pi" as in that mathematical symbol.


***Warning: "Life Of Pi" SPOILER ALERT. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE PLANS TO READ THIS MAGNIFICENT BOOK. *** You can view the trailer for the screen adaptation of this book though.



 First thoughts about the trailer: A promising visual treat, but will it live up to the essence of the novel?


        My brother brought home "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. The first thing I did after waking up in the morning was read this novel because I've been absolutely dying to read it. I didn't stop reading even when I had skipped breakfast and lunch. That's how good it is. I finished reading it in a few hours. And I was hungover from the book for the next few hours because the end just BOGGLES YOUR MIND. I mean, a little boy and a tiger stuck with each other in a lifeboat after their ship sunk?

 The book reviews on Amazon fall into two schools: people who actually read the whole thing and immensely enjoyed it, and people who couldn't even go halfway and decide it's fair to give the novel a miserable review and one star rating.

     I wouldn't say this is a book review but I will list down a few points on why I largely enjoyed the novel:

*It gives a colorful narrative of Pi's relationship with animals (his family owns a zoo) and his exploration of faith.
*Great foreshadowing on the "man vs nature" theme that takes place after the shipwreck.
*The plot twist near the end is just:
Like FO' REAL

Overall, it's beautifully written, provocative novel about acceptance, spirituality, grief, survival, and truth.


***********************************
SPOILER



I kinda spoiled the plot twist to my brother a few days ago.

I lamented: "OMG, Pi is the tiger! PI IS THE TIGER!"
My bro: WTF??? I'm not done with the book yet!
Me: Oh.

2 comments:

  1. If it has an Indian protagonist, it should be good. Haha racial bias aside, though, I'm really looking forward to this film. Think I can borrow the book from you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol sorry, the book isn't mine. It belongs to my brother's best friend.

      Delete

Spam and hate comments will not be tolerated.