Saturday, January 12, 2013

What am I doing.

Times I wish I was a cat.



     The thing about being funemployed (yes, I call it as such) is that it really does suck not having extra cash at your disposal especially when the movies that have come out are the ones TO DIE FOR. (Exhibit A: Life of Pi.) And I thought about how I should save up for the future and other grown-up stuff like that, so I sent out my resume to a couple of my connections.

   Anyway, the other day- or rather, night- I went to Ortigas for this job interview at this BPO department of a certain company. A friend recommended me and I thought this would be a good start for me to get a little income. Besides, I already had customer service experience before and my communication skills makes American clients think their calls are routed within the country.

A little side story: Sometimes, customers ask where their calls are routed and refuse your help (regardless how badass you are at your job) if you say they've been routed to Philippines or India. Most of the time, I lie by claiming they've been routed to a random state in the USA and they don't complain. Plus, I end up helping them solve their problem anyway. Whaddup betch.


      Continuation. I went to the building where said company was and waited at the hallway with other applicants. It was 9pm and there were these girls who obviously job-hop as they talked about this company and that company's offer. One of the HR people made us sign application forms and because the girls were so damn loud, they were asking each other: what reason should they write down for leaving the previous company they worked for?

   One or two of them suggested to put down "better job opportunities" and "social development" as if they knew what they were talking about. -_-God, they were so annoying. You wanna know how annoying they were? The HR person stepped out and told them off to sit down and behave quietly in the hallway because the boss could see them from the CCTV. Funny part was, one of the HR people approached one of the girls and said that she has worked for the company before. And that one of her former coworkers mentioned that she often missed work during the time she was working there. Hawkwaaaard.

  When I had to kill time after the initial interview, I went outside the office for some air. Except there wasn't much air because half the people on their breaks were smoking. Most call center people have this certain posture, aura, and style that makes them easy to distinguish from people in other line of work. I had flashbacks about my last job. Now, I only ended up constantly getting in touch with one coworker there. I didn't enjoy being constantly "chained" at the computer for almost 8 hours. Even if I was good at what I did, irate customers eventually drain my life force and there's only so much I can do to cope. There was too much work and too little to compensate for the stress and shifting schedules. There were people who've worked in the company for years but have only managed to go up only a few steps in the company ladder. People were generally friendly and good to work with but a lot of them I couldn't relate to or talk about my interests with.



  This work is only a temporary thing, I told myself. But shit, if I could dedicate my energy to a job I'm not passionate about, I could certainly channel it to what I really want to do with my life. I can do a lot of things on the side while I'm pursuing my creative endeavors but it can't be this line of work.

 In the end, I did well with my final interview and was given the date for product training. I turned it down. At that day, I started working on a website for my art, downloaded music to practice with, and drafted out some essays for Byotch magazine. Honestly, I wouldn't know how this would all turn out but it beats being part of the corporate herd.





2 comments:

Spam and hate comments will not be tolerated.