Wednesday, February 6, 2013

For the Love of Poetry.

     For some reason, when I think about Valentines' Day this year, I think of poetry. So I guess it's only natural that I want to share with you a few of my favorite poets whose works just hits me right in my feels and constantly makes me wanna throttle myself for not being a poet.

1.)Tyler Knott Gregson.







 Most of TKG's poems are short, sweet, and shows a tranquil picture of being in love with someone and with life, even when you're broken. You can find more of his works here: http://tylerknott.com



2.)Warsan Shire
Read one of my personal favorites:  34 Excuses For Why We Failed At Love

Here is an excerpt to get you going:

 4. I was wandering the derelict car park of your heart looking for a ride home.

 5. You’re a ghost town I’m too patriotic to leave.

 6. I stay because you’re the beginning of the dream I want to remember.

 7. I didn’t call him back because he likes his girls voiceless.

 8. It’s not that he’s wants to be a liar, it’s just that he doesn’t know the truth.

 9. I couldn’t love you, you were a small war.




Warsan Shire's works are raw with honesty, melancholic, and sometimes will rip your heart out. You can check out her other poems at her Tumblr site: warsanshire.tumblr.com

3.)Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye




"....Love is not who you were expecting, love is not who you can predict. 
Maybe love is in New York City, already asleep, and you are in California, Australia, wide awake. 
Maybe love is always in the wrong time zone,
 maybe love is not ready for you. Maybe you are not ready for love. 
Maybe love just isn’t the marrying type.
 Maybe the next time you see love is twenty years after the divorce, 
love is older now, but just as beautiful as you remembered.
 Maybe love is only there for a month.
 Maybe love is there for every firework, every birthday party, every hospital visit. 
Maybe love stays- maybe love can’t. ..."


You may click here for the entire transcript of ze poem, though I do recommend you watch them perform their spoken poetry first.

I'd like to point out that Sarah Kay and Phil Kaye are not related to each other in any way. They're not even a couple. Sarah is a brilliant poetress (is this even a legit term) and Phil is a brilliant poet and they're making beautiful poetry together... but GODDAMIT I SHIP IT SO MUCH WHY CAN'T THEY GET MARRIED AND HAVE POET BABIES.




This video showcases another spoken word collaboration, explaining how they met and their mindblowing similarities. They have specific things in common it's just LOLWUT WHAT HOW



4.) Rudy Francisco


He is probably the first spoken word poet I fell in love with. This video of his Love Poem Medley just makes me want to meeeeelt. You can follow the hamazing Rudy Francisco here in his Tumblr: rudyfranciso.tumblr.com


P.S.
If anyone's wondering what to get me for V-day, I'll be quite happy with a red velvet cupcake. Or maybe a dozen of those. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam and hate comments will not be tolerated.