Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"Elements"

"Elements", March 2013. Oil on wood.

     After more than a month, I am finally done with "Elements"! Hurrah! All the red velvet cupcakes in the world! A combination of love, self-loathing, Rock of Ages/Pitch Perfect soundtrack, and chocolate was involved in the painting process.

 It all started from this rough sketch.

How my mind works.

  When people think of painters or visual artists, they think all we do is come up with subjects or ideas to paint and then it's smooth sailing from there. I call bullshit on that. There's a somewhat complicated relationship between the artist and his canvas. From experience, there will be days when  I've started and the feeling's sunshine and unicorns but there are days I have to leave my painting alone and, I dunno, just let it  sit there because it feels like I'm just painting mulch and I'm kidding myself ("HA! You call yourself an artist?? What is this crap.). After a day or two, I look at my painting again and one of the three things will happen:

a.) Yes! I suddenly figured out how the painting will look better- so I continue to paint.
b.) Hmm. The painting wasn't as crap as I thought it would be- so I continue to paint.
c.) Aslkdlfgh. This will probably get worse one way or the other- so I might as well keep painting.

And then there's the occasional.

d.) I hate myself. I hate my life. How do you art. How do you even. *stress eats*

It's not always self-criticism that comes up whenever I paint. Of course there are days when I realize I am in the zone. It's that point in the painting process when I just surrender to the painting and lose myself in it for a couple of hours. It's those moments of intense concentration when I realized I don't want to eat, I don't want to do any of those stupid chores, the internet is irrelevant, there's paint all over me, and that I don't have to shave my legs for another few days.

If you'd like to see photos of my painting progress from sketchpad to the final product (plus, close-up shots of my painting and the details), you can check out my Facebook Page for my artworks and click on the album "Elements In Progress". "Like" my page if you really like it. If not, please link me a picture of a cute cat or corgi at the comments section. I don't ask for much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam and hate comments will not be tolerated.