Sunday, June 9, 2013

I See You

  Last month, I finally watched Rise of The Guardians. Half the time, I was crying. Whether I was particularly hormonal that time or just deeply touched by the story, there was one scene where I just lost it. And by lost it, I mean I was making dying whale noises while in tears.


 Here was Jack Frost, a perpetually youthful, mischievous and fun-loving guy (with great hair and teeth, might I add) who just wants to be noticed. For the past 300 years he has brought adventure and fun to the children of the world through snow days, frost, and winds. His powers are extensions of his nature. When one of the kids, Jamie, finally sees him, it was a big emotional whop for me and Jack Frost.  Jamie sees Jack Frost! The physical appearance is secondary to Jamie's amazement: he sees Jack Frost and his nature. It was because of Jack that snow days were filled with laughter and excitement. Fun.

Knowing that someone finally sees him, Jack is, of course, ecstatic and is filled with more purpose than ever to fulfill his role as a guardian.

This scene reminded me of two things: James Cameron's Avatar film and Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie. Let me explain the latter first.


There's a short chapter dedicated to Morrie's work at a mental hospital in the early 50's. He was to observe mental patients and record their treatments. One of the patients, a middle-aged woman, would come out of her room every day and lie facedown on the floor. She'd lie there for hours while the staff just stepped around her. It was her daily routine. Morrie began to sit on the floor with her or lay alongside. At one point, he got her to sit up and return to her room. 

"What she mostly wanted, he learned, was the same thing many people want- someone to notice she was there."

Isn't it any wonder Pitch Black resorted to terrorizing people in the darkness. 

In James Cameron's Avatar, the Na'vi a.k.a. the Blue people have a greeting: "Oel ngati kameie" or "I see you". This greeting goes beyond physical sight. It means "I see who you are." It can be interpreted as I see who you are as a person. I see your integrity and your character. I respect and honor you. I understand you.

I'm sure we'd all be as ecstatic and relieved as Jack Frost when we are seen without the lens of prejudice, authority, hierarchy and ignorance. We are too busy with other things to be fully present with others sometimes. We'd probably have less conflict and drama in our lives if we paid more attention.

Oel ngati kameie.

I see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam and hate comments will not be tolerated.